Submitting an Article Online
To submit an article online, and to check the status of your submission, you need to have an account with 19: Interdisciplinary Studies in the Long Nineteenth Century
Don't have an account? Register Here.
19 does not currently accept unsolicited submissions. Article submission guidelines will be provided to contributors directly by email and are available upon request.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The manuscript is in Microsoft Word or RTF format.
- The manuscript and associated material conforms to MHRA style and 19 house style and image guidelines (provided to contributors directly by email and available upon request).
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Review have been followed.
- Images have been prepared separately from the manuscript document. These should be uploaded as supplementary files. The manuscript should indicate in bold where you intend the images to appear, and should provide captions. See image guidelines for further information. Contributors are responsible for ensuring in advance of submission that all images and illustrations accompanying their work are explicitly licensed for digital use, or are in the public domain.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g. post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g. in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
This journal is published by the Open Library of Humanities. Unlike many open-access publishers, the Open Library of Humanities does not charge any author fees. This does not mean that we do not have costs. Instead, our costs are paid by an international library consortium.
If your institution is not currently supporting the platform, we request that you ask your librarian to sign up. The OLH is extremely cost effective and is a not-for-profit charity. However, while we cannot function without financial support and we encourage universities to sign up, institutional commitment is not required to publish with us.
Fee waivers do not apply at the Open Library of Humanities because our funding model does not rely on author charges.